Arsenal face off against Liverpool on Sunday in another huge test of their Premier League title credentials.
Arsenal are back in Premier League action this weekend as they host Liverpool at the Emirates on Sunday. The Gunners will be looking to register their eighth win of the campaign, which would keep them top of the league after an ideal start that has seen them lose just once.
Their form has seen them tipped as potential title contenders this season, sitting one point ahead of champions Manchester City. However, the clash against Liverpool presents a challenge, given they have been part of an era of domination between them and the Citizens over recent years.
That said, they have struggled in the early stages, sitting ninth with just two wins from their opening seven – playing one game less due to a rescheduled game against Chelsea. Despite that, Mikel Arteta has warned not to judge the opposition for their form, saying: “I’m not here to judge what Liverpool are. I’m here to talk about what we are. I think what they’ve done in the last five years doesn’t need any presentation. It’s clear that they’ve been up there in every single competition for the last five years, so credit for what they’ve done.”
There will be hope that the Gunners can continue their winning run, though, with a busy schedule breeding the chance for plenty of momentum before the World Cup break. They have been favourites in most of their games so far, including the North London Derby against Tottenham – who were unbeaten up until that point.
However, predictors FiveThirtyEight have backed the result to go against the grain for Arsenal so far this season. They claim that the away side have a 43 per cent chance of coming away with all three points, while the home side have a 34 per cent chance of grabbing a win with a draw ranked at 23 per cent.
Jurgen Klopp’s side have been a problem for the Gunners in recent years, registering only one win over the Merseyside team in their last 19 competitive meetings. That’s a record that Arteta will be looking to turn around, especially if his side wants to challenge at the top this season.