Klopp has rejected theories he could walk away from Liverpool after a disappointing campaign to date.
Jurgen Klopp insists he has no plans to walk away after Liverpool’s struggles were compared to his final season at Borussia Dortmund.
Klopp spent seven years at Dortmund, winning two Bundesliga titles and a German Cup before announcing in April 2015 that he would leave at the end of that campaign following months of underperformance at Westfalenstadion.
Despite what had been a difficult few months for the German side at the time, Klopp’s team would improve in the final weeks of the 2014/15 season to finish seventh and secure Europa League football for the following campaign.
Asked what Klopp did to turn around fortunes at BVB eight years ago and if he could apply those same methods to Liverpool’s current predicament, Klopp said results and performances improved once it was confirmed he would be walking away.
However, the German coach said he was not entertaining the thought of doing the same with the Reds after a difficult campaign that sees them currently sitting eighth ahead of a trip to Chelsea on Tuesday evening.
“[At Dortmund], I stepped back and then we turned it around while I was stepping back,” Klopp said. “When I announced I would leave at the end of the season we played a good part, that is true. [Leaving Liverpool] is not my plan.
“The difference at that time was we had the winter break so we had a really good second part of the season. I don’t know exactly if it was completely after I said I wanted to leave because the whole second part of the season was good. It was nearly normal, from where we were coming from.
“Players started coming back from injury and we started playing our football again. When players came back here so far it didn’t work out. That is the main difference.
“I tried a lot and in moments it did work out, and in others not. The inconsistency is the most annoying part of it, to be honest. Still we have to keep doing and trying.”
Liverpool head to Stamford Bridge to face managerless Chelsea on Tuesday night on the back of the dismal 4-1 loss to Manchester City at the Etihad on Saturday lunchtime and the Reds boss wants to see more fight in his players in west London.
Klopp added: “Football is based on basics, definitely, and yes I was not happy with it (at City), but I said that directly after the game. There was an open ball in midfield for the first goal, a pass to the outside and no challenge.
“A square ball and goal. The third goal is four or five versus one and then a pass arrives still in the box. That is not possible. We are not the first team that happens to. We have to make sure we have a completely different approach to challenges, that is 100% true.”