Your Liverpool morning digest as CEO Billy Hogan confirms an FSG plan, plus some ‘new signings’ are welcomed into the squad for the first time.
Here is your Liverpool morning digest for Saturday, October 8.
Liverpool welcome ‘new signings’
It’s a phrase that surely grates among the more transfer-minded of Liverpool’s fanbase. And Jurgen Klopp isn’t shy of using it, writes Ian Doyle.
Several times during his Anfield tenure has the Reds boss referred to a player having recovered from a long spell on the sidelines through injury as being “like a new signing”.
And there’s every chance those words will be aired sooner rather than later as Liverpool’s treatment room finally starts to clear after a busy start to the campaign.
This time, however, there will be more than a little truth should Klopp repeat his assertion.
On Tuesday, the Champions League visit of Rangers saw Liverpool able to name their strongest matchday squad since the Community Shield win over Manchester City, with three players having their first involvement since the opening Premier League weekend.
The most senior was Ibrahima Konate, sidelined since injuring his knee in the final pre-season friendly against Strasbourg on July 31. Konate, who had become a more regular starter during the closing months of last season, will join Joe Gomez in challenging for the centre-back positions currently held by Virgil van Dijk and Joel Matip.
Caoimhin Kelleher was also among the substitutes having come through 90 minutes for the under-21s at the weekend. The goalkeeper hasn’t featured since the first week of pre-season when he aggravated an injury suffered on international duty in June, and will now compete with Adrian to be deputy to Alisson Becker.
And, for the first time since his summer arrival from Aberdeen, teenager Calvin Ramsay was on bench duty having recovered from the operation that has thus far delayed his debut. Klopp has stated the 18-year-old right-back will have minutes for the U21s also before hopefully easing the burden on Trent Alexander-Arnold at right-back.
Liverpool chief confirms FSG’s Jurgen Klopp plan
Liverpool CEO Billy Hogan has admitted that Jurgen Klopp had told the club he would probably not renew his contract before U-turning and signing a new two-year extension back in April.
The German had been expected to leave the Reds at the end of his previous contract, which was due to expire in 2024. However, he is now contracted to the club until 2026.
And while Hogan is delighted that Klopp committed his future to Liverpool, he has also hinted at future roles the German could fulfil at Anfield when the time comes for him to leave as a manager.
We couldn’t be happier,” the CEO told Bild when reflecting on Klopp’s latest extension. “He had made it clear that he probably wouldn’t renew. But then he and his wife Ulla talked about it and decided to stay for two more years.
“It shows how strong his feelings for the club are – and also how important he is to us. We haven’t talked about that (him becoming a club ambassador) yet, but I can well imagine that we’ll discuss it one day!
He’s already a Liverpool legend – his connection with Liverpool will last forever. It’s like a lifetime contract. He also has such a connection to Dortmund and Mainz.