The Reds face Man City in a huge Premier League clash on Sunday but are set to be without a whole host of stars as their injury woes took a turn for the worst once more.
Liverpool take on Manchester City on their return to Premier League action this weekend but a number of injuries have already hampered their chances of a return to winning ways.
The Reds suffered fresh injury blows when three members of their starting lineup were ruled out of action in the 3-2 defeat to Arsenal on Sunday, leaving Jurgen Klopp with the real possibility of having seven first team stars out of action ahead of the visit of Pep Guardiola’s side.
Here is all you need to know about the current state of play at Anfield and the expected return dates for those currently on the sidelines.
Liverpool right back Trent Alexander-Arnold is expected to be ruled out for up to two weeks after picking up an ankle injury in last weekend’s defeat to Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.
The England international was forced off at half-time of that fixture having suffered an ankle problem and will now miss Sunday’s visit of Man City, along with a number of Liverpool’s following fixtures, although Klopp admitted he feared that he may be out for longer.
Speaking on Tuesday, Klopp said: “It is always difficult to say. Shorter than a month; two weeks I heard but we have to see if that’s right. That is the information I got, I am not sure if I am allowed to say this, to be honest! Because I thought it is longer when I saw him after the game. But I take the two weeks easily. We will see
Trent Alexander-Arnold will be out for up to two weeks with an ankle
Following the news of Alexander-Arnold’s injury, Joel Matip was next revealed to have picked up a fresh problem against the Gunners and will also miss at least a fortnight of action as a result.
The centre back has picked up a calf strain and required a scan to determine the extent of the injury, but he will also miss Sunday’s clash with the Citizens. It comes as another huge blow to the Reds, who are now set to be without two of their first choice defenders.
Speaking on Tuesday, Klopp said: “And actually, Joel just felt a little bit, but that’s what you do nowadays to make a scan, and then he was out as well.”
Reds forward Luis Diaz suffered the biggest blow for Liverpool from the trio of injuries picked up against Arsenal, with the Colombian likely to be out for ‘six to eight’ weeks with a knee injury.
Diaz was forced off just before half-time against the Gunners and will be ruled out of action until after the World Cup, although Klopp is hopeful he may return sooner. Nonetheless, this comes as a huge blow to Liverpool, with Diaz recording four goals and three assists so far this season.
Speaking on Tuesday, Klopp said: “Lucho, what is it, six to eight [weeks] or whatever? We will see how long. Lucho looks like a quick healer but anyway we have obviously to be careful with that. [It] could have been worse as well, the way he moved after the game.”
Curtis Jones has been forced out of Liverpool’s last seven fixtures following a recurrence of a previous injury that just won’t seem to go away, although the 21-year-old is currently working his way back to full fitness.
He is, at least, expected to return the soonest out of Liverpool’s injured midfielders, although whether he will make a full recovery in time for Sunday’s visit of Man City is yet to be determined, even if he is involved in first team training once more.
Speaking on October 7, Klopp said: “Curtis was in training yesterday; it looked good – but that’s now the first session. He’s then probably the closest.”
Naby Keita is also back in training but is yet to feature in any recent matchday squad for the Reds as Klopp doesn’t yet deem him ready to return to action, despite Liverpool’s lack of option in that area of the pitch.
The Guinea international hasn’t featured since his substitute cameo against this weekend’s opponents in the Community Shield back in July, as a result of a long-term thigh injury, but there are renewed hopes that he is finally edging closer to a first team return.
Speaking on October 7, Klopp said: “They’re in a good way; they do big sessions, but Naby and Ox [are] still a little bit away.”
Completing the trio of injured midfielders is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has returned to training after being ruled out of action since July after suffering a serious thigh injury during pre-season.
It is thought that the versatile midfielder is at a similar recovery stage to Keita, meaning the pair are likely to return at similar times. However, Sunday’s clash with City could still come too early for the 28-year-old.
Speaking on Tuesday, Klopp said: “Robbo is in the squad for tomorrow; Curtis not, Ox not, Naby not. That’s it. It’s important the boys [are] coming back but it is not that you are back, train twice with the team and then here we go. It’s not like this.”
Deadline day signing Arthur Melo was already recovering from a previous injury and trying to build up his fitness upon his arrival on Merseyside, but a fresh injury may well have already ended his short Liverpool career.
The Brazilian suffered a muscular injury in the build-up to last week’s victory over Rangers and will now be out for around three to four months following the news that he will require surgery. As a result of recent rumours suggesting he could be sent back to Juventus in January, his time at Liverpool may already be up.
Speaking on October 7, Klopp said: “In the last session before the Rangers game, in a normal situation, he just injured a muscle. We have to wait for further assessment to know exactly how long it will be.”